Homemade Tomato Soup
- 3 pounds* fresh ripe tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs basil/parsley/oregano
- fresh basil & parsley for serving
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (optional garnish)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Wash and cut tomatoes (cut smaller sized tomatoes in half, cut larger tomatoes into quarters or eighths).
Place tomatoes, garlic, onion, bell pepper, olive oil, salt, pepper and dried herbs on a large pan.
Roast 25 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes. Turn oven to broil and broil 3-4 minutes or until some of the tomatoes get a little bit of char color on them.
Bring chicken broth to a boil, add tomatoes, and fresh herbs. Using a hand blender, blend mixture until smooth and creamy. Add heavy cream if using.
Top with parmesan cheese, croutons or a drizzle of heavy cream.
***3 pounds of tomatoes is equal to about
- 12 roma tomatoes
- 6 of our jumbo slicers
- 4 of our grape tomato pints
This recipe is courtesy of spendwithpennies.com